Monday, 13 July 2015

A day in the life

Would you like to know exactly how I spent my Saturday? Tbh, I'm going to tell you anyway.

I love weekends where I don't have any plans and can just work out what I feel like doing. This weekend was a particularly good one being:
  • Child free
  • In Summer
  • With very little forecast of rain (which-is-certainly-something-to-celebrate-in-my-neck-of-the-woods!)
I slept late as I'd stayed up late the night before refining my drawing of a horse. Yes really, that's how I roll on a Friday night.

I made coffee around 10.30am and wandered around my garden in my pyjamas to see how all my plants were doing.


I went back to my bedroom and laid in my bed faffing on my phone (complete with newly smashed screen covered in sellotape - safety first!) for around 40 minutes which is pretty good for me.

Then I spent a bit of time dealing with emails and working on some potential freelance projects, fingers crossed.

Around 1pm I wandered down to my stable to see if my newly painted trestle table had dried. It hadn't, which meant I needed to rethink my plans to do some sanding of shelves.

I then spent some time pottering around the garden, pruning the lilac and deadheading the roses, which is such a lovely job. It's the scent. I interspersed these jobs with nipping into the stable regularly to spray paint some of my shelves which I want to be a very bright gold and that seems to take multiple coats. I read somewhere once that the secret to successful spray painting it to recoat within 5 minutes or not for 24 hours, but I actually find, within 5 minutes or not for 1 hour to work just as well if not better. And means you can, you know, use the space!

Husband and I then tackled cutting the hedges. It takes a few hours and is quite intensive and back-achy work, which isn't a real word but should be.

I got three thorns stuck in my skin, but only one drew blood. At least three people stopped as they walked past to say what a great job we were doing too. Lovely town!

Then I jumped in the shower.

I'm pretty obsessed with my fitbit and this was the picture at 5pm. Not bad but I've been better.

Then from 5pm until 6.45pm we took a lovely walk along the Leeds Liverpool canal.

Cows paddling.

Sad results of the storms this year.

Great double arched bridge.

Then this horse let me stroke him. So lovely.
It makes rural life sound pretty amazing too. It is. I got caught in a traffic jam on Friday night as a farmer was moving his cows. Really.
We ended our walk in a newly refurbished pub where I had deep fried Potato Skins with a Blue Cheese dip, followed by Tomato and Artichoke Linguine and washed down with some rather lovely Sauvignon Blanc.
My legs were aching, cos I'm so unfit, but it was very nice to eat and drink at the end.
Then, we took a taxi home, again cos I'm so unfit, and played a game called '100 Questions; A toolkit for families'. Which was quite good, but we only managed to answer around 4 questions.
Husband wanted to switch off with some TV then and I'm not a big TV person so I left him too it and went and listened to Stephanie Hirst's new radio show, 'Nothing but the 90's'. I love Hirsty to bits and it's wonderful to have her back on the radio.
I'm not good at just doing nothing with my hands, so while I listened to that I sewed some tarpaulin together (which really hurts your hands) as I need a wet weather cover for my home made craft stall.
The show ended at midnight and so did I as then I went to bed.
It was a good day for me, with the right mix of doing useful things and fun things. Does everyone think like that or is it just me?